Friday, March 2, 2012

Social skills?????

Since returning from Iraq I feel I have lost my social skills.  Being a stay at home mommy has made that worse.  I find it hard to meet new people and make friends.  It is very easy to isolate myself and my son staying home.  I would hate for my son to suffer because of my lack of social skills.  We have joined  a moms group.  That has truly been a blessing.  The other moms are great and my son gets to play with the kids too.  They only meet twice a month.  I feel like we need more.  Where do I turn?  I am thinking about going to church more often.  That could be a place to meet other families.  This is a very scary thing.  Going to an unknown place to meet people.  I so much stress about such things.  It may sound silly.  But for the past 7 1/2 years I have not had control of my emotions and people skills.  I will have to force myself to do it for my son.  He means so much to me! 

It seems a simple thing to introduce yourself and meet new people.  To smile and make small talk.  I just freeze up or break out in a sweat.  I used to love to talk to people, on the phone, in person, just loved to talk.  Now I can't seem to open my mouth for simple conversation.

My son and I will be going back home to visit family.  I am going to try to practice on them.  This also may sound silly.  Practicing talking to family.  My husband usually goes with us and serves as a kind of buffer between me and his family.  He will not be going on this trip, so it is all up to me.  Don't get me wrong.  I love all my in-laws.  I just do better one on one.  My husband will not be there to start the conversations.  I will have to do this myself.  If all else fails I can always talk about my son.  He will be he star of the show! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment